When Your Christian Liberty Becomes a Sin



By Timothy W. Massaro - Posted at CCC Discover:

When it comes to questions of love and wisdom, it can be difficult to know what to do. What should we do when it comes to the issues that many people disagree about? Actions or habits that are not explicitly condemned or condoned in Scripture are difficult to think through (e.g. drinking, smoking, or who to vote for). This topic is what Christians have categorized as Christian liberty.

How can we know if we’ve crossed “the line”? Can drinking alcohol or eating meat become wrong before God? Scripture provides a way through such difficult issues with one overarching purpose—love for God and each other. Love is the most basic expression of the Christian’s faith. At the end of the day, if what a person is doing is not in line with love and the God who is love, then it is a sin. We are called to let love drive our decisions with a specific goal in mind.

After discussing our Christian liberty and the freedom we have in Christ, Paul writes the great “love chapter” of 1 Corinthians 13:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Cor. 13:1–3)

Even with questions of wisdom, there is still a governing principle or goal: “The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith” (1 Tim. 1:5). This principle has to guide everything, even when it comes to Christian liberty.

Comments

All Time Favorites